Sunday, January 14, 2018

Recycle Your Junk Mail and Make this Valentine Card

Who knew that junk mail could make such a pretty card? Me! I did!  I often get a piece of junk mail and think, hmmm, that would make a pretty card!  That's just how my brain works! *wink*
This card was the end product of one of those occasions.  I opened the mail box, started sifting through the pile of mail and BAM, a pretty pink holographic envelope.  I immediately thought to myself, I could make a card out of that!
Here is the envelope I'm talking about.  I'm sure that not everyone thinks like I do, but if you love paper and you use it in your hobbies somehow, you might just think "hey, I can use that!"  Of course it has lots of words and such on there that would not be pretty on a card, so I had to figure out how to make it work.
As you can see here, I cut it into thin strips along with a few other pieces of printed scrap papers from my stash of scrap pieces of paper.

I used my Spellbinders Nestabilities Heart Shaped Dies (this is the largest heart you see here) and traced my heart shape onto a piece of kraft paper.  The kraft paper is sturdy enough to hold the end design I have in mind.
Next, I laid out my pre-cut strips and then used my ZipDry glue to adhere them tot he card stock.
After waiting about 10 minutes to make sure the glue was good and cured, I laid the card stock on my Cuttlebug, lined up the heart die and ran it through about three times to make sure it was cut all the way through.  There is a lot of paper stacked up here.
Perfect and it is really prettier than I expected! Of course, pictures don't do the papers justice.
Next I used the largest heart in my Spellbinders Nestabilities Scalloped Heart Shaped Dies to cut out a piece of glitter paper to back up my paper strip heart I just made.
I added 3/4" mounting tape to the back of the paper strip heart so it would give it a little lift when I placed the whole thing onto the card base.  Peel off backing papers and adhere to the glitter heart.
For the word LOVE, I used my LawnFawn "love" die and a little scrap of the same glitter paper.  I also cut one out of the kraft paper as well just to give it a bit more sturdiness. 
I used more of my ZipDry glue to adhere the heart to the card base and then I embellished it with ribbon, tulle and a flower, once again using my ZipDry glue to adhere it all.  I used my Xyron Sticker Maker to adhere the word love together and then to adhere it to the card base.
It turned out way prettier than I pictured in my head, its just simple and sweet and best of all, I recycled to create it! YAY!

This card is for sale in my Etsy shop, but hurry before its gone! I always offer FREE shipping in my Etsy shop, so please visit me sometime.


Would you like to see the Pirouline Tin I recycled into a Valentine?  Click link below.

Make a Valentine Using a Recycled Pirouline Tin

Thanks for looking!  Please come again really soon, but until then...have a lovely day!  HUGS! :)

I'm Linking to THESE lovely and FUN parties!
And here are a few more too!
Between Naps on the Porch


Pin It!

7 comments:

Beverly @Across the Blvd said...

Your card is lovely! It's such a good idea to find ways to use all of that junk mail that we all get. I'm going to be on the lookout now before I toss it in the recycle bin. Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle Party. Pinning.

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

Oh my, I didn't realize you had two blogs. Your card is beautiful and I love that you used recycled junk mail. I am featuring your post at Snickerdoodle this week.

Joanne said...

That is so beautiful! What a wonderful way to recycle!

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Stunning - I never get pretty junk mail like that! I have a cuttlebug that I have hardly used -- I think I need to start using it!

Teri said...

This is so adorable! I love how you used the paper from the envelope! You are so clever and this is a beautiful card! Thanks so much for sharing at Celebrate It!

Gail @Purple Hues and Me said...

This is so cute, and an adorable upcycle card using junk mail! Thanks for sharing at out Handmade Valentine Cards Link Party!

Stone Cottage Adventures said...

What a clever use of junk mail! I absolutely love how you created the shimmering heart! Thank you for joining the Handmade Card Link Party! I'd like to feature your post ! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

My Cards