Monday, January 12, 2009

Tutorial For Making a Shaped Card - BBTB Challenge

Happy Monday Yall!! I've had lots of emails asking how I make my shaped cards. Most people ask me for the cutting files from Cricut Design Studio. I do have a DS, but due to my computer crashing a few weeks back.....lately I've been doing it the way I learned before I got one.

This week the challenge over at Bitten by the Bug is to use this sweet little snail from Walk In My Garden. I made mine a girl snail complete with a bow in her "hair" and "earrings". LOL!!!

I used a Sizzix rubon face (just half) and then gave her some blush using my pink Copic marker. I also used some crackle paper from Raspberry Road Designs. The glitter paper is DCWV glitter stack.
I made the medallion using my Nesties and I printed the sentiment from the computer. Lastly I added a few rhinestones and covered the center circle with Diamond Glaze.
Now, on to how I make the shaped card with a folding hinge so the card can stand freely.
First I cut out all my pieces and do all the tiny detail work before I put them all together.
Next, I score for the "hinge". I chose to use the tail because it was the center most part of the card that would work best for the hinged area.
NOTE: The score line will be on your back or inside piece ONLY!
Now apply glue to the tail area, being careful not to get glue on the hinge line.
Place the front and back together and hold for a few seconds till the glue sets.
Now your card should look like this when open.
(Pardon the rainbow of colors, I have no idea what I did!! LOL!)
This is the top view when card is standing and open.
You can see here I used pop dots to put on the front piece of the snail body.
And here she is all finished.
Most of the time you can make any cut into a shaped card....just find the part of the shape that will work for your hinge. I usually pinch that area with my fingers and stand it up to see if it will work, then score and glue.
I hope this help the ladies that have emailed me to better understand how it is I make the shaped cards without using the Design Studio.
Be sure to surf on over to BBTB and see all the other designer's creations.....they are amazing...as usual!!! Thanks for dropping in to see me today, please join me tomorrow for more card FUN! HUGS!!

Pin It!

17 comments:

Sherri said...

Thanks for a great tutorial...cute snail by the way!

Cindy Haffner said...

Hee hee so cute, you are so creative.

Sharon Caudle said...

Love your take on the challenge DeeDee! She turned out so cute! that rub on face is perfect for her and LOVE her bling! :) hugs!

Jen said...

LOVE that face...I need those rubons! She turned out so cute...right down to her earrings!

ScrapMomOf2 said...

Very cute! She's a fancy snail! Love it!

Tammy said...

WoW!!! This is awesome! Your work is amazing!!

I have left you something on my blog, I hope you'll check it out! I think your creations and your blog are fantastic!

Tammy

Bella and Aidees Mom said...

DeeDee,
You and your blog are one of my top fav's..This is cute...I left you an award on my blog...Hugs, Krista

Min said...

This is absolutely adorable! You do such beautiful work!!!
Grins - Min

mickeydee said...

Great tutorial on using the hinge. Such a cute snail! She is a decked out and ready to party!

EMTsweeetie said...

Your card is adorable! Thank you sssoo much for the hinge tip...I will try it tonight! I can hold off on the DS for a little longer :)

Jaspere said...

Your tutorial looks great. I just love your card, earrings and all.

DonnaMundinger said...

Great job with the tutorial DeeDee! Sometimes even with DS it's easier to do it this way and turns out just as cute. Love all of her accessories. Just darling! Hugs, D

Carole Beath said...

Ca-UTE. Thanks for the neat tutorial....and your snail card is so dang cute.

TERIBERI'S CREATIONS said...

WOW-WOW-WOW!!!! This snail is..........................SNAIL-ALICIOUS!!!!!!
I love this mini tutorial - YOU ROCK MY FRIEND!!!

Hugs, T

Regina Easter said...

oh my word, this perfect...love it

Nikki said...

Too cute! And great way of making a shaped card!
Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Lovely card great idea
Fiona

My Cards